done with my painting!

sendit223

Thanks to everybody who posted photos of their camo'd rifles and shotguns.

I toyed around with the airsoft gun and the kid's shotgun...then took the plunge with one of my AR's.

This morning I first finished off the Bushmaster/VXII combo I had started last weekend (the ACE stock and LaRue mount arrived yesterday so I could finish).
IMG_6382.jpg

After finishing the "old" bushy I had to really grow a pair and paint my new RRA and my new VX3. I was nervous for sure. But I like them a lot more now with the new paint.
IMG_6374.jpg

Thanks again Barry and everybody for the tips and encouragement.

Here they are together....the twins!
IMG_6385.jpg

Very nice. Its addicting. I painted a few guns and then moved on to my ATV. And lately Ive been eyeing the wifes ugly Ford Taurus.

Nice job, sendit, that's going to work like a champ.
I'm like you, I've seen people paint that foam on the stock and grips, but I figure it's got to end up peeling like a scab. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys.

Yeah Evil, I thought about the rubber parts and decided against it. I'm sure not painting those parts won't make much camo difference anyway (arguably painting it doesn't make any difference either, but it sure was fun!).

Here's the last detail. I peeled off the sticker protecting the "L" for Leupold on the covers for the RRA/VX3. Still have to clean up some goo from the sticker, but this seems to have worked too.
IMG_6389.jpg

Time to send some rounds down range!

Str8 Shooter - What Evil said, and I like the hand guard a lot. The only down side is the color. I'd rather see a decent camo version, but that's not a big deal.

Smokin250 - Although I haven't shot the RRA as much as my Bushmaster I can say that I loved the RRA right out of the box. Just a pleasure to point and shoot.

Can't wait to post some photos of the camo'd up ARs with some coyotes.

You can get the Hogue handguard and pistol grip in OD Green, and now they have them in Ghillie Green and Ghillie Tan. The Ghillie colors are a swirled looking color. I think I may have to try one on my next upper. I like the ones I have now, black ones, of course. I think the Ghillie tan handguard with a tan Cavalry Arms lower would look SWEET!

kevlars

Thanks 4949. This was a fun project. Got to have the rush of "oh s#$%, am I serious?". Once you hit that button on the primer you're committed. And then it gets fun!

I'll definitely do this again.

Montemiles - addicting is right. I'm looking for stuff to paint now and if I still had my old Taurus it would be next. I couldn't get out of the store today without making sure I had a can of brake cleaner because I was out.

The sun shade for the Leupy scopes and the Harris bipod are next. I might even hit them with primer tonight.

You just buy a new black gun for rehab.

My sons are all pumped up over this (7 to 12 yrs old). The middle one got an airsoft gun like his brother's and I told him we could do a snake skin pattern. He's into it.

Tarry - It ain't that tough. I don't hold my paint job up against the pros, but it's good enough for me. Besides it was fun.

I painted the Harris bipod and the leupy sunshade this week. I might redo the sunshade if I feel like it because there's one spot I don't like. It's so easy to redo once you get going.

Barry's post covers the basic method from degreasing (I used acetone based brake cleaner) to taping up (I used masking tape and blue painter's tape) to priming to the base color layer.

There he and I differed, as he used a sponge. I used grass to spray over instead because that's common where I hunt.

Another guy covered the need to not touch the rifle at all during the process due to oils in your hand. It's a good idea to handle the rifle before you degrease and figure out exactly what you're going to do and what you'll need. Obviously you need a couple of points on the rifle to be able to grab onto and to hang it from. I chose the recoil tube and it was pretty easy.

Lots of guys on this forum are far better than I am at this. But I guess my main point is that I'm fine with it and it was fun.

thought some of u guys might like to see this. getting ready to do my 98 blazer going to be my 5th big camo job. trucks campers etc. camo trucks .com

Back